Big Breakfast Diet


Like most kids of my generation I grew up eating a bowl of cereal every morning for breakfast. A bowl of soggy, cold cereal greeted me every morning for as far back as I can remember. I read and reread the backs of an endless array of cereal boxes as I chomped down my breakfast before trotting off to school or whatever other adventures I had planned. My mother never really allowed me to get too crazy with my cereals; no Cap’n Crunch at my house. Cheerios was about as sugary as I was allowed and I’m thankful she did that in retrospect.

Eating a 600-calorie breakfast rich in carbohydrates and protein helps dieters lose more weight long term than eating a modest breakfast and following a lower-crab eating plan, according to a new study.

Those on the ‘big breakfast diet’ feel less hungry before lunch and all day,” says Daniela Jakubowicz,Endocrinologist in Caracas, Venezuela, and a clinical professor at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, who led the study. She is presenting her findings this week at EN DO 08, the 90th annual meeting of The Endocrine Society in San Francisco.

I undoubtedly learned the big breakfast concept from my dad. I have fond memories of his “big breakfast” days as he called them. These were usually contained to the weekends when he had the extra time needed to fry up some potatoes, eggs, sausage links, and the occasional can of corned-beef hash. The tradition continues to this day for him, albeit modified to be a bit healthier, and he looks forward to his big breakfast days as much now as he did then.

So get up early tomorrow morning and start your own big breakfast day tradition because breakfast is good, good for you, and may help you lose some weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment